Sunday 12 August 2018

Learning in First Retirement : Being No One

It is very odd in Indian context to believe that I love being alone most of the times given I have always maintained close friendships in every strata of life.  The concept of ambivert is difficult to digest. And I do have a big friend circle. Over past 20 years, I have friends from the technical field, non profit and education fields, running and trekking enthusiasts, travelers and many others I met in my journeys. This is outside of the regular family, school/college and colleague circles.

I like being alone with nature (except the times when sharing makes me happy and my companion knows that silence is golden). Outside nature, in a new place, I like being surrounded by strangers who do not know me at all. What? Probably that is the reason I am also blessed with many long term friendships because somehow I made my friends understand the weirdness of my character. Even-if they are aware of my ever changing phases, they do respect my ideals (I hope!). In the regular part of life, I do spend time with my friends electronically or in person but lately, I am reducing the regular sections of my life a lot :-)

Most people I know crave for attachments. They surround themselves with people they know & love, things they care for and humans who value their existence. But I value my attachments too and listen to them 50% of the time. Rest of the time I like to be detached. Lately, I started enjoying being a stranger or a no one in this world. A lot!!

I was always an observer of life since childhood. My little 18 month journey helped me exploit that part of me even more. I traveled at least a year in that break, completely among strangers. However, when I wanted to connect, I made great friends too. One thing I noticed before, when we go somewhere surrounded by people we know, we make less connections to the place or people we visit. Hence it was very important for me to focus on the journey and understand different cultures plus experience natural beauties of India and beyond. When you quit your job or the regular life to travel, you can not waste that time in talking about your technical work among techies of Bangalore. Because that discussion does not make sense to you during that journey. You would rather talk to a farmer in a mountain village to understand how they collect water, how they spend their winter, what songs they listen to and what vegetables they eat. 

I observed more and more. Being silent helped me to absorb more. Being a stranger helped me to go unnoticed. It helped me to break my ego barriers as well. Knowingly or unknowingly, I had been communicating with a very specific set of people outside imposed relations - the smart and successful ones. It gave me opportunity to interact all sections of the society and conduct my social experiments as I mentioned in an earlier blog about looks and first expressions.

After I returned to my "regular" life, that learning helped me a lot to maintain a balance inside me. Now, every bus or train ride feels like a journey to a new world. I notice people more in my walks.  Somehow I could connect more to humane flow of energy. I can sense the stimulation of the world in the form of natural beauty or in human interaction form in deeper levels. As the surroundings change with time, I know that I am not a stranger - somehow there is an invisible bridge to the energy of 7 Billion souls and trillions of connection to the trees, lakes, oceans and mountains (remember 'Tsaheylu' from 'Avatar'). As I open the windows of my mind, the light sets in and there is  no darkness in the world.... I am no one and every one through those trillions of connections!!!


My Himalayan princess who helped me kick start the conversations with myself.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment